Mattel Hot Wheels Community
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Makes Certain Hot Wheels Collectible, Part 3: A SIGNIFICANT RELEASE

By Brad Bannach

Two of the most popular Hot Wheels castings of today are the ‘55 Chevy® Bel Air® Gasser and the ‘71 Datsun 510 -- castings that are undoubtedly different. But they weren’t instant favorites in the Hot Wheels collecting world. Sure, they both appealed to their niche groups at the time of their initial releases, which were 2013 and 2009 respectively; but no one predicted at the time that either would cause the commotion they do every time one is released.

They do share something in common. Both castings had a defining release that acted as a catalyst, setting off a chain reaction among Hot Wheels collectors that elevated these castings to a level of collectability seen only by Hot Wheels like the ‘67 Camaro® and the Volkswagen Drag Bus.

GroupShot-55ChevyBelAirGasser-71Datsun510-1570-tiny.png

For the ‘55 Chevy® Bel Air® Gasser, it was a release that was so iconic, it’s commonly known by collectors as “The Candy Striper.” At the time of its sale, the 4,000-piece run didn’t sell out until day two. But it didn’t take long after collectors got these in hand that they realized how special the piece was, which in turn, turned the masses onto the casting, and Gassers in general. As the value of this piece inches closer to $1,000 on the secondary market, many will point to this significant release as the reason why so many collectors choose to collect the ‘55 Chevy® Bel Air® Gasser and it speaks as to why the Red Line Club is so popular today.

CandyStriper-Gasser-Group-1570-tiny.png

The ‘71 Datsun 510 had a more gradual rise to stardom, as the casting notoriously sat on pegs in 2009 when it was first released. In 2011, John Morton’s Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) Datsun Bluebird 510 was the oddball in the premium Hot Wheels Vintage Racing line, as it appeared in a line that was dominated by American muscle cars. In some areas of the United States, the release also sat on pegs for months. There was even an HWC Special Edition release John Morton’s #46 BRE Datsun 510 in 2013 that had Spectraflame red paint and neo-classic redline wheels. 

BREDatsun510-GroupShot-1570-tiny.png

Shortly after that, secondary market prices on both BRE Datsuns started to rise, exposing the Hot Wheels collecting masses to the international and domestic interest in Japanese domestic market (JDM) vehicles. The movement echoed that of 1:1 car culture at the time, and in the wake of this shift in collecting, many Hot Wheels collectors scrambled to collect these premium BRE Datsuns and any other versions of the casting that they could get their hands on. This ultimately vaulted the ‘71 Datsun 510 to not only the most popular Japanese-branded Hot Wheels car of all time, but arguably one of the top 10 Hot Wheels castings of all time. Had it not been for the BRE Datsuns, the popularity of the ‘71 Datsun 510 may not be where it is today.

SBS-CandyStriper-BREDatsun-1570-tiny.png

These are just two popular examples of Hot Wheels castings that vaulted in popularity after a specific release. Certainly, there are other examples of significant releases that served as a catalyst to ignite collectors’ passions when it comes to certain castings -- from the masses down to the individual. 

Do you collect a certain Hot Wheels casting? What was the reason you began collecting it? Can you narrow it down to a specific release? Share with us in the comments below!

BIGBADBRAD01
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 9

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

THRATTERO

Posted

Yes it was on a downfall for sure.Cars and treasure hunt sets were sitting at the shop for years.Till mattel had them on clearance,they sold.

Share this comment

I remember the day of the gasser sale, i totally forgot about it until about 3 hours in, and when i logged in a saw it still available I was shocked and happy I didn't miss out, so i was lucky to get one and still have it in my collection.

Share this comment

MIATA BREMBO

Posted

Great article OTD! There's always "experts" in the crowd who like to sharpshoot. Always enjoy your take!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

crossfiregirl

Posted

I think the '55 Bel Air gasser is due for an up date.  I think we can re-tool it and get it out there with a whole new look!  There is a lot you can do with the engine and headers.  Lets take off the blower and ad a raised manifold with dual-quad holly carburetors and velocity stacks with some good detail.  That would be a great change.  How about changing up the headers with a lot more detail.  Give a little more realistic look.  How about adding a set of wheels bars and a parachute.  Change up the rims and tires with some great drag stickers and some great colors.  How bout some more ideas guys. The '55 is one of the best lets make it better!! whoooo hooooo!

• Like 3

Share this comment

Davidstingray

Posted

Both are such beautiful castings it is hard to choose a favorite, but being an old school muscle car nut, I would have to pick the Chevy.  The 510 would be a close second!

Keep'em coming we love them all!!

• Like 1

Share this comment

JKATTINE

Posted

My favorite casting is the ZWHIZ  or 240z in later years...to my knowledge I currently own every ZWHIZ variation including a carded white enamel redline ZWHIZ from the Mike Strauss collection 

Screenshot_20200624-202057_Facebook.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

JKATTINE

Posted

34 minutes ago, JKATTINE said:

My favorite casting is the ZWHIZ  or 240z in later years...to my knowledge I currently own every ZWHIZ variation including a carded white enamel redline ZWHIZ from the Mike Strauss collection 

• Like 1

Share this comment

DARKJEDILAIR

Posted

Never cared much for gasser's before this release. The finish is one of the worst among the mirrored releases, cant imagine how it would look with the current process. I remember getting it and considered selling it but decided against it. Ripped it open and put it in my case where it still resides. Kmart had several of the BRE 510's as well as the Petty cars and Javelin that were in that last assortment. Considered buying all the 510's but money was tight so just bought the one for my collection (at 6 bucks apiece it was more than I was spending at the time). When the RLC version was released it was the only car that year I didn't try for since I liked the RR's better, Doh. 

IMG_20170613_212348042.jpg

IMG_20170613_212634082.jpg

Share this comment

Aaronwyatt1981

Posted

Well I Clock to oldies but goodies    The Deora.  The first one and sometimes the second.  What even collect the third if it had glass. And my second cast thing is the Ramblin wreck or I especially like the blue window version with the phone number.  And my second cast thing is the Ramblin wrecker. I especially like the blue window version with the phone number. The newer convention gold version is pretty cool too. The newer convention gold version is pretty cool too. Although I do snap up the cheaper 510s and blue birds and every once in a while I get a 55 gasser if it’s one I like.  Maybe someday I’d like to get all the 510s and bluebirds.  I do prefer the wagon release is like the one that came in that premiums that recently. And my absolute favorite new release type of car is the ID series, I really love them.  Thanks a ton for the article Brad. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thehotwheelhunter

Posted

5 hours ago, JKATTINE said:

That is awesome jkatt!! But plz tell me where u got that fancy hard case?? I hav sum pretty nice cars that would look very nice in sum of those...thanx!!!

• Like 1

Share this comment

WILLIEB47

Posted (edited)

2013 Started my love for the Datsun 510 Sedan. Now I am hooked. BRAD always write great articles. Both in the HWC/RLC & Orange Track Diecast. Keep up the great work BRAD.

I would like to see the Datsun 510 Sedan done in the Spectraflame Pink like the Candy Striper. With the RLC EXCLUSIVE treatment.
                   or 

The Datsun 510 Wagon done in the Spectraflame Pink like the Candy Striper. With the RLC EXCLUSIVE treatment. Note: the Datsun 510 wagon has never been given the RLC Club Exclusive treatment. Either of these will sell. Maybe 20,000. Then RLC Members will be able to have a great chance of getting one. Of course with NEO’s.

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Edited by WILLIEB47

Share this comment

Chlaredo

Posted

Interesting concept on the rise of these two castings. What many do not know about is the variation on the Gasser where the roof stripes have a distinct orange look to them. I was fortunate to get the variation version and my wife the regular version. I have three of the Candy Striper with one being loose, also have loose and carded versions of the Datsun.

Share this comment

Corsa1966

Posted

I remember going into Big Lots here in CA back in the day looking for THUNTS and seeing the Vintage Racing BRE's sitting there. Never even thought to grab them up at the time. I could have easily gotten 20 or more of them but didnt wanna pay the 3.99 at the time. Same with the JL General Lee cars.

Share this comment

ColbyReid23

Posted

I’m huge Subaru guy. I have every make, model/castings/paint variation/card/wheel Hot Wheels has ever put out. Except for one that I have been chasing for the last 6 years. It’s a blue plastic body Blobeye STI  medal base. White number 77 on the roof and orange and green deco that says “Rally El segundo” on the doors. 2010-2011 Hotwheels 10 pack exclusive. So if anybody has one lmk. Please 

E2B23CA8-E4DC-4FD9-8C1F-886CCC9EE23A.png

Share this comment

Pavecrucco

Posted

One of the casting I'm getting more fond of is the Datsun 610 ... my favorite for now is the Super th version of the 2018 green that is coming to me ... I always hope for new and interesting colors

2018-Datsun-620.png

• Like 1

Share this comment

1984SS

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for both the signed (00003/03000) and unsigned BRE 510’s.  46 signed cars seems pretty rare  so I would be curious what a signed car is worth? They never trade and I am keeping mine. 

It was fun to open that box and see an autographed car. 

Wish you guys would do that again!

Sold my Candy Striper a year ago and it has more or less covered the cost of many club purchases from 2005 forward. Thought it was ugly when I bought it. Kept it until the hype got really high. 

BRE is just a beautiful casting and livery. 

Edited by 1984SS

Share this comment

KINGJOEY59

Posted

I love and collect both, the 510 sedan is the only JDM i like and can't wait for the RLC newest one to get here.

Share this comment

MIATA BREMBO

Posted

On 6/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, crossfiregirl said:

I think the '55 Bel Air gasser is due for an up date.  I think we can re-tool it and get it out there with a whole new look!  There is a lot you can do with the engine and headers.  Lets take off the blower and ad a raised manifold with dual-quad holly carburetors and velocity stacks with some good detail.  That would be a great change.  How about changing up the headers with a lot more detail.  Give a little more realistic look.  How about adding a set of wheels bars and a parachute.  Change up the rims and tires with some great drag stickers and some great colors.  How bout some more ideas guys. The '55 is one of the best lets make it better!! whoooo hooooo!

For sure a redesign of the cumbersome front suspension is in need. Maybe a more realistic leaf spring setup.

• Like 1

Share this comment

crossfiregirl

Posted

Any Gasser fans out there.  How about a '57 Gasser in the future.  The 55 Gasser was so popular I think we all know just how popular a '57 Gasser would be as well.

Share this comment

crossfiregirl

Posted

A 57 defiantly would be super popular.  HOT WHEELS?  Think about it PLEEEEESE!!!!!

Share this comment

MASTERLOAFER

Posted

One of my greatest mistakes was not buying the Candy Striper. I thought it was an ugly car. Loved the pink but I have never been into the “gasser” type cars. My loss for sure. Lesson learned. LoL. 

Share this comment

RShea23

Posted

I wish I was able to get a Candy Striper for my husband. Such a beautiful car.  No way I can afford $1000 now.

Share this comment