By Gary Barnum
Designed by Ira Gilford, the Custom Volkswagen was one of the Original 16 Hot Wheels releases in 1968. After over 50 years, it seems fitting that HWC issue the casting as one of our traditional RLC Exclusive Hot Wheels Collectors Convention editions sporting a Spectraflame pink finish and Neo-Classics Redline wheels. We’ll make a few available here on 10/22/19.
The Volkswagen Beetle was obviously named after a bug. Little Latin lesson for you: the word “insect” is derived from the Latin word “insectum,” meaning notched or divided. Well, this casting features a slide-open sunroof, so… But then there’s the Latin word “insector” meaning “pursue” — which is exactly what we anticipate you’ll be doing for this piece if you miss the offer. So we thought we’d bug you about it now.
- Features: Slide-open sunroof
- Body Color: Spectraflame pink
- Deco: White fenders
- Body Type: ZAMAC
- Wheels: Neo-Classics Redlines
- Base: Full-metal, chrome-plated chassis and engine
- Window Color: Light blue-tinted
- Interior Color: White
- RLC blister card in Kar Keepers clamshell case
- Available Only to RLC Members (until item is sold out): 10/22/19 at 9 a.m. PT
Pricing and Purchase Limits:
- Priced at $20.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
- We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
- Limit of ONE (1) per RLC Membership (if quantities remain, limits may be increased or lifted at our sole discretion)
- Rewards Points for RLC Memberships (per purchase): 20
- Refunds only, no exchanges
Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations and wheel type.