By Gary Barnum
It’s become one of the most beloved castings Hot Wheels has to offer. But this RLC Exclusive ’55 Chevy® Gasser offers us a special glimpse at history, too! Fly into the past with us when it becomes available at HWC on 7/30/19.
We land in Burma, just prior to the U.S. entry into WWII. A clandestine unit of the Chinese Air Force is being formed … with American military personnel! Discharged from the armed services, these Americans became the 1st American Volunteer Group contracted to help China fight Japan. Nicknamed "The Flying Tigers," they would later play a crucial role in WWII and inspire books and films.
The Flying Tigers would begin with a fleet of Curtiss P-40B “Warhawk” fighter planes. These planes were painted with the shark mouth deco which would later become iconic. Sturdy, armored, and well-armed, these planes were known especially for a speedy dive “boom-and-zoom” maneuver.
The last P-40B planes used in military service – in Brazil – were retired in 1954. Which brings us to our 1955 Chevy®. (A note of interest is that some former Flying Tigers pilots formed an airline used primarily for cargo – Flying Tigers – which operated until they were purchased in 1988 by Federal Express.)
Your collection will be the bomb with this insanely glorious edition. Appropriately featuring the shark mouth deco and warplane insignias, it includes authentic racing logos as well. Finished in Spectraflame olive and landing on Real Riders wheels, it’s enclosed in an acrylic case – resembling a museum exhibit. You’ll want to display it, so make sure your RLC membership is up to date — it’s an RLC car (exclusive for RLC members).
- Body Color: Spectraflame olive
- Deco: Matte black roof, WWII 1st AVG Flying Tigers-inspired deco with authentic sponsor logos on sides
- Body Type: ZAMAC
- Wheels: Front - Real Riders classic wheels; Rear - Real Riders deep-dish wheels w/ cheater slicks tires and Firestone tampo
- Base: Full-metal, chrome-plated chassis
- Window Color: Light smoke-tinted
- Interior Color: Silver VUM w/ painted details on seats and engine
- Acrylic case in decorative outer box
- Each vehicle features an individually numbered sticker (xxx/12,000)
- Available to RLC Memberships (until item is sold out): 7/30/19 at 9 a.m. PT
Pricing and Purchase Limits:
- Priced at $24.99 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
- We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
- Limit of ONE (1) per RLC Membership (if quantities remain, limits may be increased or lifted at our sole discretion)
- Rewards Points for RLC Memberships (per purchase): 25
- Refunds only, no exchanges
Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations and wheel type.