Mattel Hot Wheels Community
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Original 16 Upgrade: RLC Exclusive Custom Mustang!

By Gary Barnum

When the Original 16 Hot Wheels cars were released, they sported plastic wheels which made them fast. Years later, Hot Wheels introduced Real Riders wheels which made our die-cast “look and feel like the real thing.” Collectors have loved that upgraded look since 1983. Our Custom Mustang has worn them before, but rarely. This RLC Exclusive edition with Real Riders will be offered at HWC on 6/30/20.

SOLD OUT

If you were unable to purchase this item,
please CLICK HERE to let us know.

Please understand that, due to limited production quantities, it's not possible for every member to get every item we offer.
We welcome your feedback to help us with planning future offers.

Featuring an opening hood, this release is coated in Spectraflame Otto blue (named for artist Otto Kuhni, responsible for the art on so much of the early Hot Wheels packaging). And, of course, it rides on Real Riders 5-spoke wheels for that authentic appearance. Add this sweet pony car to your stable!

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_128.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_143.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_081.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_099.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_229.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_245.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_174.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_193.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_282.jpg

Specs:

• Features: Opening hood
  • Body Color: Spectraflame Otto blue
  • Deco: Dual light blue racing stripes
  • Body Type: ZAMAC
  • Wheels: Real Riders 5-spoke wheels w/ red stripe tampo
  • Base: Full-metal, chrome-plated chassis and engine
  • Window Color: Light smoke-tinted
  • Interior Color: White w/ black-painted steering wheel

Packaging:

• RLC blister in Kar Keepers clamshell case
  • Each vehicle features an individually numbered sticker (xxx/12,500)

Availability:

• Available Only to RLC Members (until item is sold out): 6/30/20 at 9 a.m. PT

Pricing and Purchase Limits:

• Priced at $24.99 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Limit of ONE (1) per RLC Membership; limit five (5) per household (if quantities remain, limits may be increased or lifted at our sole discretion)
  • RLC Rewards Points: 25
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type.

Edited by HWC Staff

HWC Staff
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

HotRodHarry

Posted

Absolutely Breathtaking with OTTO Blue! Easily the Nicest Offering in some time.

Share this comment

Darrell T.

Posted

I have always had a special interest in Mustangs,  have always had one since 1987, and still do,but I cannot wait to add this Beauty to my stable. 

Sure hope this sale goes as smoothly as the last one did. Great job on the last sale hotwheels team!

• Like 1

Share this comment

1steditionman

Posted

2 hours ago, ichliebeautos said:

Sadly have to agree. My excitement has dampened. Beautiful paint, great side profile. But I guess, to accommodate the opening hood feature, the front proportions really got out of whack.

3 hours ago, TIMSPITTLER said:

The front of the car looks distorted I hope the one pictured is just a demo. I love the Mustang's and i'm glad its on a card.

Guys, this is a release of the original Sweet 16 '67 Mustang. It is meant to be and look exactly that; to feel like the original cars with the same grit, imperfections and not-so-exact look of the original.  The HW Team could have cast a "perfect" piece. Instead they stayed true to  the original design. I think it's perfect.

Also, comparing it to the 302 is not fair. These are two very different castings separated about 30 years (or so?) of casting quality development.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this comment

papiakay

Posted

count me in please...

Share this comment

Hard_To_Be

Posted

Car looks good. Wrong choice for wheels/tires. Bling bling rubberband tires have never looked good on classic muscle cars and they never will. 🤢🤮

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Well I was very keen on possibly getting this one being a Mustang fan and all, BUT seeing that front end shot quite literally made my jaw drop and not in a good way! That front end looks like it's been hit by a big ugly stick. I am just going to have to try and keep reminding myself that that is a vastly magnified image and with my not so perfect vision, if lucky enough to get one, in hand it might not look so bad 😒

Share this comment

SpectreFrost

Posted

What justifies the price raise ? This is not a special nor is it an acrylic case model, I don't see why the price has gone up. I've noticed this with previous sales too .. 

Share this comment

CHARMAE1226

Posted

having a opening hood on a car is great for the openers. but for those who keep them on the card its just extra money for something that  will never get used. so does the car prices go back down if they don't open?  Other  wise this year's  a bust for me. 

Share this comment

rrRumbler

Posted

14 minutes ago, Hot rod said:

They had make offer, I made an offer of $24.99 

That's a good one. We should all offer $24.99 to these bad apples.  Seems like they also violate copyright by using Mattel's photos.

Share this comment

DASPOTTER

Posted

Not crazy about the front & rear treatment also.  Maybe it's the pics.  I'm still going to try to get one.  

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_174.thumb.jpg.4d6f546c7eec2eafbd8f6a75f3d31fa3.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_193.thumb.jpg.06d85e3ff72921de79297333496a7a34.jpg

Share this comment

jmcdonel112@comcast.net

Posted

The front end of the car looks deformed. 

Share this comment

Look like a drag funnycar with bike wheels on the front, too deep in the fender, too big in the rear. The stripe print on the hood is bad on the preview! So dont be surprise of what you will get!!!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Calverton Customs

Posted

I'm in…..

Share this comment

6T9BOSS9

Posted

1 hour ago, DASPOTTER said:

Not crazy about the front & rear treatment also.  Maybe it's the pics.  I'm still going to try to get one.  

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_174.thumb.jpg.4d6f546c7eec2eafbd8f6a75f3d31fa3.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_193.thumb.jpg.06d85e3ff72921de79297333496a7a34.jpg

Definitely light is playing tricks with the pics.

Hopefully they don't ship with chipped paint tail lights like in the rear picture.

• Like 1

Share this comment

drforton

Posted (edited)

That Blue!!! 😍😍😍 hope to score one 😍🇺🇸

Edited by drforton

Share this comment

ThunderWolf29

Posted

Looks great!!!

Share this comment

Tnismo96hb

Posted

11 hours ago, F_WORTH said:

agreed 100%

An error sample pic? Small wheels at rear LOL!

Share this comment

Looks good just hoping we don’t have to put in all our details again or I am going to start missing a lot of cars 🙁

Share this comment

Tnismo96hb

Posted

11 hours ago, FLEX8AT said:

I like the 302 better

FCM80_01.jpeg

FCM80_022.jpeg

Oops, this post... An error sample pic? Small wheels at rear LOL!

Share this comment

That is NOT true to the original design anyone that says it is doesn't  actually own one. The original had blacked out GT lights in the grill and was proportioned correctly to the real 68 Mustang. This looks like a cheap copy. Somebody's drunken stupor rendition. The profile looks good. Look up online original 16 Redline 68 Mustang. The front end is a Sad attempt to recreate it.

Share this comment

SAMSTOYS

Posted

Nice car will try to get one, just hoping the one I receive doesn't have this ones nose and tail end ! and hopefully those aren't the proper size front wheels also. . . . 

Share this comment

TurboFoot_J

Posted

😍

Share this comment

On 6/26/2020 at 3:27 AM, Tnismo96hb said:

Front kinda looks like Howard the Duck is starring at me, rear looks like maybe it's a full blown dragster, but that's not the case when you see the rest of it, the original custom stang had same size wheels, I think they should have stuck with that. The Mach 1 however, that casting looks better with these wheels.

Original did not have the same size wheels. Fronts were the small skinnies, rears were mediums. 

Share this comment

I swear some complaints don't understand what this casting is, a direct retool of the original casting from 1968

• Like 1

Share this comment

This is now closed for further comments