Mattel Hot Wheels Community
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Original 16 Upgrade: RLC Exclusive Custom Mustang!

By Gary Barnum

When the Original 16 Hot Wheels cars were released, they sported plastic wheels which made them fast. Years later, Hot Wheels introduced Real Riders wheels which made our die-cast “look and feel like the real thing.” Collectors have loved that upgraded look since 1983. Our Custom Mustang has worn them before, but rarely. This RLC Exclusive edition with Real Riders will be offered at HWC on 6/30/20.

SOLD OUT

If you were unable to purchase this item,
please CLICK HERE to let us know.

Please understand that, due to limited production quantities, it's not possible for every member to get every item we offer.
We welcome your feedback to help us with planning future offers.

Featuring an opening hood, this release is coated in Spectraflame Otto blue (named for artist Otto Kuhni, responsible for the art on so much of the early Hot Wheels packaging). And, of course, it rides on Real Riders 5-spoke wheels for that authentic appearance. Add this sweet pony car to your stable!

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_128.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_143.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_081.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_099.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_229.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_245.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_174.jpg      GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_193.jpg

GLH92_W_20_Custom_Musttang_282.jpg

Specs:

• Features: Opening hood
  • Body Color: Spectraflame Otto blue
  • Deco: Dual light blue racing stripes
  • Body Type: ZAMAC
  • Wheels: Real Riders 5-spoke wheels w/ red stripe tampo
  • Base: Full-metal, chrome-plated chassis and engine
  • Window Color: Light smoke-tinted
  • Interior Color: White w/ black-painted steering wheel

Packaging:

• RLC blister in Kar Keepers clamshell case
  • Each vehicle features an individually numbered sticker (xxx/12,500)

Availability:

• Available Only to RLC Members (until item is sold out): 6/30/20 at 9 a.m. PT

Pricing and Purchase Limits:

• Priced at $24.99 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Limit of ONE (1) per RLC Membership; limit five (5) per household (if quantities remain, limits may be increased or lifted at our sole discretion)
  • RLC Rewards Points: 25
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type.

Edited by HWC Staff

HWC Staff
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Davidstingray

Posted

I would love to add this amazing Mustang to my collection!!

Share this comment

HWJUCKIE

Posted

Been a RLC member for many many years and can never seem to get a car when I want one or the web site crashes. ??????????????????????

Share this comment

Titi169

Posted

16 hours ago, REDBARON1818 said:

To be honest when I first saw it I said.. WOW! but then saw the front and rear shot and thought ...the front is almost unrecognizable and the rear could have used a little more detail. Maybe it's just this one?  Not great!  and for 24.99?   Maybe a pass  I'll have to see some other shots of this somewhere. 

I agree with you

Share this comment

I am glad to hear some folks find it disappointing since that might mean I (and others) may have a chance of buying one. I admit the front and rear are less than perfect but I want one. It reminds me of the ones I had when I was a kid but WAY nicer. Overall I think it looks fantastic.

Good luck to all. If I don't get one, I will be happy for those that do. For those who find it disappointing, I hope you get something you want later this year. It's fun to see what they come up with each time even if I don't always get one. 

Share this comment

Julio717

Posted

When will this go on sale?

Share this comment

1steditionman

Posted

Already set up my tent! 

I love it. It has the same casting "imperfections" as the original, as it should be. 

Will surely compensate for missing the Datsun.

Share this comment

Redlinerichie

Posted

This is an  awesome car I'm definitely going to be interested in this one now I know better from the last time that when I get let into the room I'm supposed to hit the details tab that's one of the main reasons why I didn't get the last Datsun.  I mean how stupid can a person be.  So I'm ready, come on RLC.. #redlinerichie  #mattelfreak  #rlccollector 

Share this comment

TIMSPITTLER

Posted

The front of the car looks distorted I hope the one pictured is just a demo. I love the Mustang's and i'm glad its on a card.

• Sad 1

Share this comment

sweet..... wanted to see this one in blue, this baby is going to get a wheel swap, if I'm able to get my hands on one.......👍

Share this comment

MINIBLUE

Posted

The chrome trim around the grille is definitely upside down, and there’s no horizontal chrome strip through the middle meeting the logo at center.

Share this comment

Bbwolf67

Posted

Another car that I can never get. 

Share this comment

BUELL2006

Posted

Looks awesome! The added details are great!!

Share this comment

FLEX8AT

Posted

I like the 302 better

FCM80_01.jpeg

FCM80_022.jpeg

• Like 1

Share this comment

F_WORTH

Posted

4 minutes ago, FLEX8AT said:

I like the 302 better

FCM80_01.jpeg

FCM80_022.jpeg

agreed 100%

• Like 1

Share this comment

SCHMOTTO6

Posted

I may end up having to add a little white paint 🙂

2020_06_26_14_07_32_Original_16_Upgrade_RLC_Exclusive_Custom_Mustang_News_Mattel_Hot_Wheels_Co.png

Share this comment

certified

Posted

Hopefully the site is better than the last drop.. Maybe then I'll have a chance at getting SOMETHING this year lol

Share this comment

ichliebeautos

Posted

18 hours ago, REDBARON1818 said:

To be honest when I first saw it I said.. WOW! but then saw the front and rear shot and thought ...the front is almost unrecognizable and the rear could have used a little more detail. Maybe it's just this one?  Not great!  and for 24.99?   Maybe a pass  I'll have to see some other shots of this somewhere. 

Sadly have to agree. My excitement has dampened. Beautiful paint, great side profile. But I guess, to accommodate the opening hood feature, the front proportions really got out of whack.

Share this comment

Paleo78

Posted

I think the lighting is playing funny tricks with this pony.

Share this comment

LITTLEKEV

Posted

Looks great. Hope IT fixes my account so I can attempt to get one. 

Share this comment

rrRumbler

Posted

Love it when RLC does the original 16! I'm all in for this one! Please make more original 16's!

Share this comment

SUGARLANDEXPRESS

Posted

Definitely needs a wheels swap.  The tires up front look silly - will look better with 10-spoke RRs on custom width axles.

Share this comment

MustangDak77

Posted

People complain too much. I for one am so glad they are releasing this beautiful mustang. I would say this is one of the best Ford's they have ever come up with. The blue and white is perfect. The wheels. Engine. So so amazing. I'm buying for sure. This is so great. No empty complaints here

• Like 1

Share this comment

Davej610

Posted

Badd A$$

Share this comment

What happened yo the front end? Very distorted looking GT lights aren't there anymore backend should have been black. It doesn't look as good as the original or the earlier remake 

I am s bog Mustang collector, fan snd owner, I'm not sure about this one??????

Share this comment

This is now closed for further comments