Mattel Hot Wheels Community

Hot Wheels 2020 Pop Culture Mix 4: Vintage Oil!

By Gary Barnum

Your Hot Wheels may not need motor oil to reach the end of the track, but the cars and trucks that inspire them certainly do. At least anything with an internal combustion engine. Fortunately, several motor oil brands have kept the automotive world greased for as long as more than a century. We pay homage to Vintage Oil with our fourth and final Pop Culture mix of 2020.

Agip – In the mid 1920s, Sinclair Oil and the Italian government split the profits of Sicilian oil. A critic of this private venture was killed and, in 1926, the public Azienda Generale Italiana Petroli established a public holding on the black gold. Agip appears to have been defunct since 2008.

Gulf – Founded in Beaumont, Texas in 1901, Gulf became a household name – and eventually an iconic symbol. However, a tumultuous 1980s led to the company’s breakup, only to revive in more recent years. The powder blue and marigold orange color combo still thrills racing enthusiasts to this day.

Lion Head – Established in 1922, Lion Head – like Gulf – struggled in the 1980s. Nevertheless, the modern version of the brand maintains a headquarters in Brentwood, Tennessee.

Shell – A subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell, the company can trace its origins to 1907. Headquartered in the Netherlands, it is currently one the largest corporations in the world.

Valvoline – Founded in Binghamton, New York way back in 1866, Valvoline eventually became (and remains) a mainstay sponsor of pro racing.

These slick editions feature die-cast/die-cast construction and Real Riders wheels, with state-of-the-art deco. And remember: dinosaurs gave their lives for the brands represented here. Let’s honor them, too.

GRL37.png 1937 Haulin’ Gas (Lion Head)

GRL36.png ’83 Chevy® Silverado™ (Gulf)

GRL35.png ’78 Dodge Little Red Express (Shell)

GRL38.png ’63 Studebaker Champ (Valvoline)

GRL39.png ’38 Dodge Airflow (Agip)

(Click here for more images!)

2020 Pop Culture Mix 4 – Vintage Oil Checklist:

• 1937 Haulin’ Gas (Lion Head)
  • ’38 Dodge Airflow (Agip)
  • ’63 Studebaker Champ (Valvoline)
  • ’78 Dodge Little Red Express (Shell)
  • ’83 Chevy® Silverado™ (Gulf)

Dodge and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Mattel, Inc. © 2020 FCA US LLC.
Items and dates subject to change. Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability.

HWC Staff
  • Like 6

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

By far one of the best sets released this year. 😎

• Like 7
ThunderWolf29

Posted

Love it, hope I can get all of them!!! ✌️

• Like 2
JENNYJONES4

Posted

Interesting....!! Not exactly the cars I would have chosen for this series! Perhaps cars that better represented the era in which the brand flourished?

• Like 2
1steditionman

Posted (edited)

Very interesting narrative. The selections are OK, but imho not great as related to the subject, I would have loved to see the Peterbilt Tanker or the Hot wheels tanker back, and that streamlined tanker in (original) Texaco colors as a 6th car.  But I’m shoulder-dislocatin’ this one for sure!
Not critisizing (I drive an I-C engine vehicle), but will it ever get to the point where marketing petroleum industry brands is bad P.R., like with the tobacco industry?

Edited by 1steditionman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
JIMMEE442

Posted

I like the deco & ... as mentioned before, the trucks!  

• Like 2
Schnauzer-pug

Posted

A great way to honor the dinosaurs that gave their lives would have been a Sinclair themed truck! I love this set and I hope they continue this theme.

• Like 3
Davidstingray

Posted

Very, very nice looking set.  This is on my wish list. 

I wish a had a dime for every Shell oil can I stuck a pouring spout into back in the sixty and seventies.

Hot Wheels is on a roll with another set that has amazing art work!!

Thanks

• Like 3

Love this set! Top 3 premium sets for this year!

• Like 4

Found all five (x2) last night.  They are quite cool!

• Like 3

That Studebaker reminds me of the Nascar trucks...love it.  Will Amazon carry these? I prefer to buy online nowadays. Hopefully

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PaBLo said:

Found all five (x2) last night.  They are quite cool!

Do you mind me asking what store? I found a few at a Target last week but haven't seen any since and i'm missing a few for a complete set. 

• Like 2
the last of the dodos

Posted

i heard that shell used to actually sell hot wheels with gas purchases

This is the best pop culture set for this year. 👍I'm on the hunt for all 5 of those and I can't wait to add all 5 of those to my hotwheels collection. 👍

• Like 2

They should have done the original Texaco Gas livery on the Haulin' Gas truck.  I believe Texaco created this truck and was the only gas company to ever use it.  That would have been sweet.

• Like 1
the last of the dodos

Posted

3 hours ago, EEC8059 said:

That Studebaker reminds me of the Nascar trucks...love it.  Will Amazon carry these? I prefer to buy online nowadays. Hopefully

i'm actually the exact opposite. i prefer to buy them in person (im broke lol)

• Like 1

Shell promo's ended with the 'oil crisis', '73-'75. Ugly, enamel baggied castings w/a shell, shell on the header card. Today, as redlines go, they command $$$'s.....maybe can find them still in the basement of a shell station somewhere in a desert....

• Like 1

great concept, less desirable cars.

would be a great set with race cars of the 40s

gulf already had a set couple years ago, kinda boring see that here

• Like 1
16 hours ago, the last of the dodos said:

i heard that shell used to actually sell hot wheels with gas purchases

They did. I think they came in baggies

• Like 2
the last of the dodos

Posted

iv'e seen them. i go to a place called closet collectibles. there located in crete illinois. they hvae LOTS of hot wheels

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LGENE said:

Good luck finding the 83 Silverado

Exactly what I'm thinking, definitively gonna be the most popular model, in Gulf deco no less, still gonna grab the whole set, best pop culture set for this year imo.

• Like 2