Mattel Hot Wheels Community
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Custom Otto Is Back by Collector Request!

By Brad Bannach

The “Lost Redline” has found its way back (again). Originally created by Hot Wheels artist Otto Kuhni for use on the original Hot Wheels packaging in 1968, this redline-era car was never meant to join the Original 16. Rather, its all-encompassing design took many styling cues from the muscle cars of the era and served as the backing for the first Hot Wheels vehicles. In 1993, the car’s role as nostalgic packaging superstar was reprised as it was brought back to grace the blister cards in the Hot Wheels Vintage line as part of the 25th Anniversary.

Otto-93VintagePKG-1570-tiny.png

The fate of this “Lost Redline” changed in 2008 when -- in honor of the 40th Anniversary -- this design was cast as an actual Hot Wheels vehicle. It was dubbed the “Custom Otto.” The “Custom” portion of the name was reminiscent of the original naming for the custom cars in the Original 16, and the “Otto” portion was in honor of the car’s original creator, who also had a reprised role of sorts. In the early days of HotWheelsCollectors.com, Otto came out of retirement to create much of the art that was featured on the posters, HWC master sets, and even the packaging for the sELECTIONs vehicles. Otto would go on to attend several conventions, signing autographs and letting collectors know that he was thrilled to have his illustration become a Hot Wheels car.

Otto-Group-1570-tiny.png

The Custom Otto has had a very unconventional run as a Hot Wheels vehicle. Of the 14 total variants, 13 were released in 2008 -- including a very special one-off release that was cast in 18-karat white gold and encrusted with more than 2,700 diamonds. Four years later, the Custom Otto was last released was in Spectraflame bright orange as part of the HWC Series 11 Neo-Classics. The casting was then unofficially retired.

Otto-HWC-S11-1570-tiny.png

Over the last eight years, Hot Wheels has put out several surveys asking for collector input. Collectors just like you have repeatedly asked for the return of the Custom Otto -- oftentimes, even insisting that the Mainline was a great place for it. The good news for those collectors is: They listened! Due to your persistent requests, the Custom Otto has been tooled for Mainline use and will start appearing in the 2020 Hot Wheels Mainline starting in Mix J, in the Muscle Mania mini collection.

Otto-2020-MuscleMania-Purple-ORANGETRACK-1570-tiny.png

Due to requirements for all new castings in the Mainline, the hood has been sealed shut, but they did manage to keep that original metal body. The Custom Otto will appear in three different colors for 2020 -- including one that will be a Target-exclusive Red Edition. Also, they know that some of you enjoy racing your Hot Wheels cars. The good news now is that you can leave those collectible Custom Ottos on display -- or even race them, too -- as they have new releases coming your way that you can take to the track.

Otto-2008Blue-2020Purple-1570-tiny.png

Otto Kuhni, unfortunately, passed away in 2017. Collectors these days celebrate his legacy, as his artwork has touched millions of people over the last 52 years, and even inspired a few Hot Wheels designers. His Custom Otto lives on so a new generation of collectors can embrace this timeless design. Thanks go to you, the collector, for consistent reminders that designs like this make up Hot Wheels lore.

Otto-2020-MuscleMania-Purple.jpg

Custom Otto Checklist

• 2008 - Spectraflame Red - New York Toy Fair
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Green - New York Toy Fair
  • 2008 - Diamond-encrusted, White Gold - 40th Anniversary Celebration
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Otto Blue - HWC Exclusive
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Pink - HWC Exclusive
  • 2008 - Chrome - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (El Segundo stop)
  • 2008 - Red/White - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Brown - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Speed, KS stop)
  • 2008 - Metalflake Blue - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Indianapolis stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Black - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Detroit stop)
  • 2008 - White - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Watkins Glen stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Gold - 22nd Annual Hot Wheels Collectors Convention (Otto Kuhni Dinner)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Pink - Employee Exclusive
  • 2012 - Spectraflame Bright Orange - HotWheelsCollectors.com Series 11 / Neo-Classics
  • 2020 - Metalflake Purple - Muscle Mania
  • 2020 – Micro Intense Blue - Muscle Mania
  • 2020 – Micro Apple Red – Target Red Edition

Edited by BIGBADBRAD01

BIGBADBRAD01
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

18 hours ago, HOTWHEELED1 said:

I have all of them, except, well I'm sure you can guess which one, eh?

So who owns the Diamond-encrusted one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

JIMMEE442

Posted

23 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Mattel requirements for mainline releases

was this because of cost?

Share this comment

JIMMEE442

Posted

i started collecting AGAIN in late '95... & i've tried to hoard (?) as many opening-hood or door (Camaro, Mustang, Cobra, Blazer, etc) releases as possible.

Trucks, & Funny cars with moving parts &/or 3-4 axles were also a focus (as were "removable parts" releases)!   

it takes more to make them, & i appreciated that  👍

• Like 1

Share this comment

Hot rod

Posted

Otto rocks on...

• Like 1

Share this comment

THIS GUY

Posted

Id in spectraflame red

• Like 1

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

On 5/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, JIMMEE442 said:

was this because of cost?

Mainlines go through an automated assembly process that require 4 pieces that can be assembled without any special steps, hence why some older castings had to be redesigned and retooled. As the path down automation continues, there may actually be room for these features to come back. So in a backwards way, its about cost, but its not the reason (I assume) you think.

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

On 5/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, juke said:

So who owns the Diamond-encrusted one?

Not me, or it would be have featured here. 😉

• Haha 1

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

On 5/22/2020 at 5:01 PM, Brockwheels said:

Just wondering about the list of Ottos. Are there not also the Worlds Smallest or don't they count

Only included the 1/64 standard Hot Wheels versions of the car.

Share this comment

REDBARON1818

Posted

On 5/22/2020 at 8:33 PM, REDBARON1818 said:

Love seeing this car again! (Despite what some say! SMH) I hope I can see it more in other variations!  Would love to see it as a  Super! 

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

Talked to Larry Wood the other day. According to Larry, Harry Bradley actually designed the car but Otto drew it up for the package. The car never went into production until the 40th Anniversary. Larry ended up submitting his design of it for an internal design contest called, "What car would be best for the 40th anniversary". His design also included a rear view since there wasn't one previously. Working on getting the original drawing from him...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

DAR1988

Posted

On 5/22/2020 at 7:09 AM, RC1981 said:

Perfect example of Mattel still making product for the old school and muscle car collectors so now all the old people who were crying in the forums can give it a rest ...here's a bunch of peg warmers for you old heads! LoL 😎 

Is 1981 your birth year??? Becasue if it is you ain't no spring chicken yourself.

Share this comment

DAR1988

Posted

On 5/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, STEVE1339 said:

Gee guys, can't you come up with something new? Retreading old stuff although nostalgic, doesn't take the place of New Ideas! 

Are you kidding??? There is new stuff every freaking year. More than enough. 

Share this comment

Aaronwyatt1981

Posted

Thanks brad. Good article man. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Slideways

Posted

Cool story, and can't wait to see this at my retailer.  I would've never thought it was the car that represented the original artwork though...hahah.  (Sorry Mattel)

Out of respect to Otto, a couple simple tweaks make this a much better casting...;);)t

Otto.jpg

• Like 1

Share this comment

dinosaur2_02

Posted

On 5/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, ZAPHOD_NTH said:

Due to requirements for all new castings in the Mainline, the hood has been sealed shut

gov't requirements , mattel requirements ?

cost cutting requirements most likely.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, STEVE1339 said:

Gee guys, can't you come up with something new? Retreading old stuff although nostalgic, doesn't take the place of New Ideas! 

its this or another zoom in repaint. take your pick.

Share this comment

Several months ago I saw one in a cards and collectibles shop. They have a lot of Hot Wheels so my memory of it may be a little blurry. I think it was white and red in a "Since 68" blister. ( does that sound right?)  I think it was $60. Good price?  To much?

Share this comment