Mattel Hot Wheels Community
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Custom Otto Is Back by Collector Request!

By Brad Bannach

The “Lost Redline” has found its way back (again). Originally created by Hot Wheels artist Otto Kuhni for use on the original Hot Wheels packaging in 1968, this redline-era car was never meant to join the Original 16. Rather, its all-encompassing design took many styling cues from the muscle cars of the era and served as the backing for the first Hot Wheels vehicles. In 1993, the car’s role as nostalgic packaging superstar was reprised as it was brought back to grace the blister cards in the Hot Wheels Vintage line as part of the 25th Anniversary.

Otto-93VintagePKG-1570-tiny.png

The fate of this “Lost Redline” changed in 2008 when -- in honor of the 40th Anniversary -- this design was cast as an actual Hot Wheels vehicle. It was dubbed the “Custom Otto.” The “Custom” portion of the name was reminiscent of the original naming for the custom cars in the Original 16, and the “Otto” portion was in honor of the car’s original creator, who also had a reprised role of sorts. In the early days of HotWheelsCollectors.com, Otto came out of retirement to create much of the art that was featured on the posters, HWC master sets, and even the packaging for the sELECTIONs vehicles. Otto would go on to attend several conventions, signing autographs and letting collectors know that he was thrilled to have his illustration become a Hot Wheels car.

Otto-Group-1570-tiny.png

The Custom Otto has had a very unconventional run as a Hot Wheels vehicle. Of the 14 total variants, 13 were released in 2008 -- including a very special one-off release that was cast in 18-karat white gold and encrusted with more than 2,700 diamonds. Four years later, the Custom Otto was last released was in Spectraflame bright orange as part of the HWC Series 11 Neo-Classics. The casting was then unofficially retired.

Otto-HWC-S11-1570-tiny.png

Over the last eight years, Hot Wheels has put out several surveys asking for collector input. Collectors just like you have repeatedly asked for the return of the Custom Otto -- oftentimes, even insisting that the Mainline was a great place for it. The good news for those collectors is: They listened! Due to your persistent requests, the Custom Otto has been tooled for Mainline use and will start appearing in the 2020 Hot Wheels Mainline starting in Mix J, in the Muscle Mania mini collection.

Otto-2020-MuscleMania-Purple-ORANGETRACK-1570-tiny.png

Due to requirements for all new castings in the Mainline, the hood has been sealed shut, but they did manage to keep that original metal body. The Custom Otto will appear in three different colors for 2020 -- including one that will be a Target-exclusive Red Edition. Also, they know that some of you enjoy racing your Hot Wheels cars. The good news now is that you can leave those collectible Custom Ottos on display -- or even race them, too -- as they have new releases coming your way that you can take to the track.

Otto-2008Blue-2020Purple-1570-tiny.png

Otto Kuhni, unfortunately, passed away in 2017. Collectors these days celebrate his legacy, as his artwork has touched millions of people over the last 52 years, and even inspired a few Hot Wheels designers. His Custom Otto lives on so a new generation of collectors can embrace this timeless design. Thanks go to you, the collector, for consistent reminders that designs like this make up Hot Wheels lore.

Otto-2020-MuscleMania-Purple.jpg

Custom Otto Checklist

• 2008 - Spectraflame Red - New York Toy Fair
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Green - New York Toy Fair
  • 2008 - Diamond-encrusted, White Gold - 40th Anniversary Celebration
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Otto Blue - HWC Exclusive
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Pink - HWC Exclusive
  • 2008 - Chrome - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (El Segundo stop)
  • 2008 - Red/White - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Brown - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Speed, KS stop)
  • 2008 - Metalflake Blue - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Indianapolis stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Black - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Detroit stop)
  • 2008 - White - 40th Anniversary Road Trip (Watkins Glen stop)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Gold - 22nd Annual Hot Wheels Collectors Convention (Otto Kuhni Dinner)
  • 2008 - Spectraflame Pink - Employee Exclusive
  • 2012 - Spectraflame Bright Orange - HotWheelsCollectors.com Series 11 / Neo-Classics
  • 2020 - Metalflake Purple - Muscle Mania
  • 2020 – Micro Intense Blue - Muscle Mania
  • 2020 – Micro Apple Red – Target Red Edition

Edited by BIGBADBRAD01

BIGBADBRAD01
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1971grnmav

Posted

Loved all the original Hot Wheels graphics especially Otto's custom car!

• Like 1

Share this comment

FIREBIRD02

Posted

Great casting! Too bad it couldn't retain the opening hood in the mainline, though.

• Like 2

Share this comment

RC1981

Posted

Perfect example of Mattel still making product for the old school and muscle car collectors so now all the old people who were crying in the forums can give it a rest ...here's a bunch of peg warmers for you old heads! LoL 😎 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Share this comment

Sugarcaddi

Posted

Great story great casting ,I love this car .I hope to pick a few more up for my collection,thank you BIGBADBRAD01 for great story and photos 20200522_073007.jpg.5767b715789003647f75876593def387.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

ZAPHOD_NTH

Posted

Due to requirements for all new castings in the Mainline, the hood has been sealed shut

gov't requirements , mattel requirements ?

• Confused 1

Share this comment

SAMACE26

Posted

I love the custom otto. 👍I can't wait to add all 3 new ones this year to my hotwheels collection. 👍

• Like 1

Share this comment

HWADDICT

Posted

One of my favorite castings, soooo glad it's back in the lineup. Thank you HWC crew!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

ARMATAZ

Posted

this is killing me.... you know that right??? ;-). I can not find it any where.. and ALL the TRADE SHOWS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED!!!!!..

Arrrrg.

feels like when the dusters and demons were first released magnified by 100...TAZ

• Haha 1

Share this comment

SCENE-Z

Posted

"new releases coming your way that you can take to the track"

Meaning just mainline orange tracks? Cuz an ID version would be SICK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

STEVE1339

Posted

Gee guys, can't you come up with something new? Retreading old stuff although nostalgic, doesn't take the place of New Ideas! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Share this comment

WEASELFRED

Posted

I don't believe that my collection contains an otto….not sure why....maybe if the rear wheels were smaller and the rear suspension lower it would have looked more like the illustration and would have been more appealing to me.  

• Like 1

Share this comment

Bunyip

Posted

4 hours ago, ZAPHOD_NTH said:

Due to requirements for all new castings in the Mainline, the hood has been sealed shut

gov't requirements , mattel requirements ?

Mattel requirements for mainline releases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

1 hour ago, STEVE1339 said:

Gee guys, can't you come up with something new? Retreading old stuff although nostalgic, doesn't take the place of New Ideas! 

This was by collector request... Mattel shouldn't listen to the collector?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

BIGBADBRAD01

Posted

1 hour ago, WEASELFRED said:

I don't believe that my collection contains an otto….not sure why....maybe if the rear wheels were smaller and the rear suspension lower it would have looked more like the illustration and would have been more appealing to me.  

I think... at the time... there was a design requirement of raked stances for all new designs. I am not 100% sure but it would be a great question to ask the design manager -- whoever it was. I have always thought the front/rear wheels were to be the same size as well (base on the artwork). Still a great casting though and one that you should not overlook!

Share this comment

HOTWHEELED1

Posted

I have all of them, except, well I'm sure you can guess which one, eh?

• Haha 1

Share this comment

HOTWHEELED1

Posted

If I could afford it, it would go right next to the pink rear loader BB 😁

• Haha 1

Share this comment

ARMATAZ

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, STEVE1339 said:

first time EVER in the mainline in it's over 50 year history...  .

and you are complaining about being a retread? did I mention, FIRST TIME EVER?

and cant they find anything new??in a product line full of brand new releases every year..?.

sorry?? but, aint that kinda like asking , if water is wet???. 😉

bring on thee Otto, . GIMME ,GIMME. I WANNIT, I WANNIT.

TAZ

Edited by ARMATAZ
  • Like 3

Share this comment

RABBIT15

Posted

I remember trackside arguments with my buddies as to what this car was supposed to be waaay back when Redlines were Mainlines. Charger? GTO?. Of course all the kids wondered "Are they MAKING this car or what?". Well apparently not.

But wait! 30 some odd years later Hot Wheels decided that they actually would MAKE the car! And they did their best  to be sure that the casting would live up to the standards of the cars produced during the original Redline era. That was such a cool  thing to do for all of the grown up kids who love the brand!

Now with the addition to the mainline all of us old kids can look forward to more releases to add to our collections!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Brockwheels

Posted

Just wondering about the list of Ottos. Are there not also the Worlds Smallest or don't they count

• Like 1

Share this comment

Awesome article and pictures.

Brad, Thank you for the history of this!

And now that RABBIT15 mentioned it, I now also remember childhood conversations about what this car on the package was supposed to be.

Thank you for bringing back that memory!

I knew I liked this new mainline the first few times I saw it.  But didn't really know why.

Now that I now know about these 2008 editions, I'm going shopping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

6T9BOSS9

Posted

7 hours ago, SCENE-Z said:

"new releases coming your way that you can take to the track"

Meaning just mainline orange tracks? Cuz an ID version would be SICK.

iD worthy YES !!

Everybody make some noise for an iD version...................or an opening hood Treasure Hunt while we are at it.

• Like 3

Share this comment

CHICKENLUNG

Posted

Looking forward to finding the new Otto's. Excited that it has made it to the mainline. Just wish it had the opening hood though. 😎

• Like 1

Share this comment

REDBARON1818

Posted

Love seeing this car again! (Despite what some say! SMH) I hope can see it more in other variations!  Would love to see it as a  Super! 

• Like 1

Share this comment

WINNER11

Posted

Glad I'm not that guy chewing old people up for loving cars we enjoyed back in our heyday and CONTINUE TO DO SO. Thank you, Mr. Kuhni, for creating this image many of us have desired for many years as a real diecast racer; thank you MATTEL for greasing the gears of production for it and making it a reality AND A DREAM COME TRUE; and a hearty handshake to you, Mr. Bannach, for grabbing the bull by the horns on this great article here. I have every release, so far, except the diamond grail. I love being old and I hope that guy lives to see his senior years and no buddy chews on him for liking what he likes. Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment