Mattel Hot Wheels Community

2021 Flying Customs Mix 1 at Target

By Gary Barnum

The flashy Flying Colors series appeared from Hot Wheels way back in 1974. At the time, the deco mirrored the style of the day. In 2013, we got nostalgic and paid homage to that series and those old-school style with Flying Customs! Last year, we restored the series from 2013 for you. Ready to fly again?

Here’s the first mix from 2021 of Target exclusives. Relive the glory days in glorious color!

GRT25.png ’67 Custom Mustang

GRT27.png ’68 El Camino™

GRT28.png ’71 Dodge Demon

GRT30.png ’71 Mustang Mach 1

GRT24.png ’73 Pontiac® Firebird™

GRT29GRT26.png ’86 Monte Carlo® SS™

GRT26.png Custom '67 Pontiac® Firebird™

GRT23.png Custom Volkswagen Beetle

(Click here for more images!)

Target Flying Customs Mix 1 Checklist:

• ’67 Custom Mustang
  • ’68 El Camino™
  • ’71 Dodge Demon
  • ’71 Mustang Mach 1
  • ’73 Pontiac® Firebird™
  • ’86 Monte Carlo® SS™
  • Custom '67 Pontiac® Firebird™
  • Custom Volkswagen Beetle

Dodge and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Mattel, Inc. © 2020 FCA US LLC.
Items and dates subject to change. Production cars may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations and wheel type. Product subject to availability.

HWC Staff
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Good looking set.  Rich colors and I dig the old school striping!  I also like the clean looking card, it really makes them pop!

I'll be checking them out for sure!

Thanks

• Like 2

Not a bad one in the bunch! I always look forward to finding the Flying Customs sets.

• Like 1

I like them, but i dont really understand why half of them have modern wheels....kinda kills it for me imo.

• Like 2

That's a nice set!  I will be tracking these down.  I too wish they all had throwback wheels, but other than that, I have no complaints.

• Like 1

Those new flying customs cars are all awesome. 👍I will be on the hunt for all of those and I can't wait to add all of those to my hotwheels collection. 👍

Unlike previous mixes, I look forward to adding each of these to my collection. Wonder which one I'll have trouble finding?

I'm with KOMPRESSOR, why all the 5 spokes, these should all have been done with basic wheels, hot ones or ultra hots. 

The Custom Mustang & Beetle card art show Hot Ones wheels, perhaps a wheel variation to look out for?

Great set! Gotta have it. No bandwagon Japanese cars, so I should be able to complete the set (sad to say).

two Mustangs and two Firebirds, but no Camaros...............Brendon must have some pull!

Very nice set, haven't even seen the one's from 2020, at one target there's still ones from last year.

THEAFGHANTWILIGHT

Posted

On 11/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, KOMPRESSOR said:

I like them, but i dont really understand why half of them have modern wheels....kinda kills it for me imo.

My chief complaint as well. The other being thst I didn’t see these once in 2020. Not sure of COVID-19 is the reason or Target just didn’t order them more than once. But yeah...the modern mainline rims on half of them (the Firebird would be so much better with BW style) ruins the series for me.

The flying customs are a nice set. Target seems to do these themed sets in 2 year increments;

-2016/17 Retro Series (with the light blue 80's blue card)

-2018/19 Throwback (with the orange card)

-2020/21 Flying Customs (with the white card)

What's next, a new installment of Hot Ones? Mid-late 80's Speed Fleet? Early 1990's Solid blue card Set?

Been a while since the last 50 states set (this would take 3 years to produce at the current rate of 2 (8-9 car [state] mixes per year).